We wanted to make something super yummy as a DIY for this week’s “Good List” feature. Unfortunately, I had an unexpected detour to the hospital and came out less an appendix. Don’t need that anyway, right!? That being said, we’ve turned to our favorite eye candy on the Internet for some help – Pinterest (how did we live without this wonderful social site, seriously)!
Thank you to My Sweet Remedy for this amazing treat and images! Taken straight from their favorite Montreal chef, Chuck Hughes, you can now try your hand at this decadent twist on my childhood favorite – the ice cream sandwich!
Making the Genoise
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven at 350°F
- Using a 9 X 11 baking sheet cover with parchment paper
- Melt your butter and reserve
- In a mixing bowl of electric mixer beat the eggs and sugar until white and fluffy (5-8min)
- Add vanilla
- Stir in flour into eggs mixture, little by little and folding gently between addition (this step in important to take the time so that your egg mixture stays fluffy)
- Fold in melted butter slowly
- Spread batter on the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 min
- Let cool
- Once cooled, put in freezer for 20-30 minutes
Strawberries & Ice Cream
- 2 1/2 cups fresh strawberries cut into small pieces
- 4 cups of vanilla ice cream, make your own or buy a good quality artisanal vanilla ice cream
- Let the ice cream thaw just enough so you can mix in the berries
- In a big bowl mix the chopped strawberries into the ice cream and stir making sure all the little pieces are well incorporated in your ice cream
- Return to freezer
Assemble the goodness!
- Take your cooled genoise and with a 4 inch round cookie cutter, cut out 8 circles
- Take out ice cream and with regular ice cream scoop, scoop in the ice on 4 cut out of the genoise
- Top it with the other genoise
- Put back in freezer until ready to serve
You can’t go wrong with chocolate – and delicious mousse wrapped in a flaky crust gives an added texture that is oh-so-delightful – especially paired with port or a rich glass of red wine! Thank you to Better Homes & Gardens for the following recipe.
- 15 ounce carton ricotta chees
- 1/4 cup granulated suga
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dark or bittersweet chocolate
- 10 – 12 Homemade Chocolate Cannoli Shells or packaged cannoli shells (recipe below to make your own shells)
Unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- For filling, in a medium bowl stir together ricotta cheese, granulated sugar, 4 teaspoons cocoa powder, vanilla, and orange peel until almost smooth. Fold in chocolate. Cover and chill until needed.
- Meanwhile, if using, prepare Homemade Chocolate Cannoli Shells.
- Spoon filling into a pastry bag fitted with a large open star or round tip. Pipe filling into cannoli shells. If desired, cover and chill for up to 1 hour. Before serving, sprinkle cannoli with powdered sugar and, if desired, additional cocoa powder.
Feeling adventurous? You can make your own Homemade Chocolate Cannoli Shells! Click on through for the full recipe at Better Homes & Gardens.
I must admit that I’ve had this recipe pinned for a very long time. I’m drooling over it again, so I absolutely must make this immediately. Thank you to Bake or Break for sharing this mouth-watering goodie and images. To recreate, you’ll need:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons chocolate chips, divided
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons white chocolate chips (or vanilla chips), divided
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons peanut butter chips, divided
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease and lightly flour a 9″x 13″ baking pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on low speed, beat butter and brown sugar until fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add peanut butter and beat well. Mix in egg and vanilla.
- Gradually add dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1/4 cup white chocolate chips, 1/4 cup peanut butter chips, and pecans.
- Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle 1/4 cup chocolate chips and 1/4 cup peanut butter chips on top of bars. Allow to sit for 1-2 minutes. Using a spatula, smooth out chips as they begin to melt.
- Cool for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons each chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
More Goodies Alert!
Continue on to Amanda’s sweet round-up at Petit Lapin – she has more mouth-watering and sensational Valentine’s goodies for you and yours!